High School Principal
Company: Dayton Public School District
Posted on: November 11, 2019
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Dayton Way
- Support and maintain the District's core principles in the
areas of professionalism, curriculum, instruction, culture, and
- Be prepared to meet the challenge of delivering education in an
urban school setting.
- Navigate competing instructional initiatives and find ways to
apply them to the classroom effectively.
- Build confidence in students, parents, and guardians that
academic achievement is attainable through high expectations and
- Collaborate and engage effectively with teachers and other
administrators to implement instructional strategies that promote
- Build positive rapport and trust with families and community
partners to facilitate their engagement in education efforts.
Provides parents and students with relevant information about
- Participate in district-organized professional development
activities and seek out opportunities for self-development.
- Lead the school's vision, mission, and strategic goals to
support career and college-ready success for all students. Develop
and communicate a shared school vision and goals with staff.
- Support the design of rigorous, standards-based instruction
with measurable outcomes. Analyze student achievement results to
identify areas of need and inform school improvement efforts.
- Promotes a positive learning environment by establishing the
underlying values of elementary school expectations and
- Supervise the planning, development, implementation, and
evaluation of instructional programs and materials that meet the
diverse needs of students. Drive instructional improvements by
implementing strategies in line with the priority areas identified
in the school turnaround plan.
- Implement an observation and feedback cycle that ensures
continuous improvement in teaching and learning. Conduct systematic
classroom visits and provide teachers with feedback on instruction
- Promote clubs, activities, and other events that complement and
expand student learning.
- Actively recruit parent and community volunteers as appropriate
to support the school's instructional programs. Management and
- Administer and adhere to district guidelines and regulations in
the administration of school functions.
- Interpret Board of Education policies for students, staff, and
the community, and implement procedures to comply with all
- Develop a collegial environment that supports teacher
leadership, staff collaboration, and personal growth.
- Establish and lead the building leadership team and
teacher-based teams (BLTs and TBTs).
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate assigned school staff. Provide
coaching, conduct performance reviews, and perform other people
- Partner with HR in the recruitment of qualified candidates for
school positions who align with the mission and values of the
District. Match leadership responsibilities to the talents of staff
- Plan and manage the school's budget, including the control of
disbursements of all appropriated funds. Highlight the school's
needs with respect to personnel, curriculum, equipment, and
- Direct the preparation of a master schedule for educational
programs that maximize the use of facilities and staff designed to
meet the diverse needs of students.
- Supervise community functions and groups, adhering to OSSA
- Represent the district at assigned community functions and
events. Analytics & Improvement
- Analyze student achievement results to identify areas of need
and inform school improvement efforts.
- Uses disaggregated achievement data to determine areas of
academic need and improve corresponding instruction.
- Establish and reinforce measurable goals to promote high levels
of student achievement. Monitor progress through reports and
analytics in collaboration with the Assessment & Accountability
- Provide resources to support staff contributions toward the
attainment of school-wide goals.
- Develop and implement professional development plans to address
identified staff learning needs.
- Recommend and leverage research-based instructional practices
in partnership with the Curriculum team. School Culture
- Use a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS), including Positive
School Climate (PSC) and RTI frameworks, to support the early
identification and support of students with learning and behavior
needs. Leverage intervention opportunities to maximize student
achievement and strive to make difficult children feel like they
belong in the classroom.
- Implement the District's classroom management strategy and
- Relate to and interact with students. Actively put students
first and be intentional about making a difference in students'
- Establish and maintain the rules for student behavior per the
student handbook and other district policies. Follow disciplinary
procedures for maintaining order among the students in
collaboration with other teachers, administrators, and the Safety &
Security team. Evaluation / Other
- Supervise the maintenance of complete, accurate student records
as required by state law, district policies, and administrative
- Oversee and direct the provision of services by building
support staff to meet the needs of the school.
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss student progress,
resolve behavioral issues, and address academic progress.
- Lead and facilitate staff meetings and professional development
- Plan assignments for classroom volunteers and supervise their
- Maintain the confidentiality of student records.
- Abide by state and national standards while administering
- Perform other duties as assigned. CORE BEHAVIORS &
- D - Dependability = attendance, response time, completion
- I - Integrity = honesty, being loyal to the absent, ethical
- C - Collaboration = seeking out teamwork, building bridges
- C - Compassion = showing concern, seeking to understand, being
- E - Excellence = being professional, achieving goals,
stretching ourselves Job-specific
- Focus on Sustainable Results = implement initiatives and
practices to address key challenges and drive sustainable
improvements in student academic achievement
- Holding People Accountable = always mindful of school
performance and holds others accountable for high standards
- Analytical Thinking = uses independent observation and data to
inform decision-making; uses logical approaches to address areas of
- Leadership = engages stakeholders to leverage their input and
develop actionable goals; takes action for the purpose of affecting
the perceptions, thinking, and actions of others to drive needed
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have the legal right to work in the
- Current and valid State of Ohio licensure appropriate for the
specific administrator position
- Must pass Federal and Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification
and Investigation background check in accordance with Ohio
Administrative Code Section 3301-83-06 Knowledge & Experience
- Master's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Sound grasp of curriculum for the appropriate subject area and
the Ohio Learning Standards
- Experience working in an urban school district or working with
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction, child development
principles, and a wide range of instructional and intervention
- Effective time management skills
- Experience with socio-emotional (ESL) learning preferred
- Knowledge of and/or experience with PBIS (Positive Behavior
Intervention Support) preferred
- Familiarity with school improvement process preferred PHYSICAL
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, hear, see, read,
speak, reach, stretch with hands and arms, crouch, kneel, stoop,
and climb stairs
- Occasionally lift and/or move lightweight items up to 40
- Work is performed in a school setting
- Occasional exposure to blood, bodily fluids, and tissue
- Work may be subject to frequent interruptions
- Potential exposure to disruptive parents and students
- Some assignments are subject to completion within strict
- Periodic travel for meetings, professional development
activities, community events, and work assignments
- Periodically expected to work outside standard school
Keywords: Dayton Public School District, Dayton , High School Principal, Education / Teaching , Dayton, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!