Posted on: January 25, 2023
Position SummaryThe Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for
modeling the 3 Company values of Compassion, Integrity, and
Excellence, and for promoting the Compassus philosophy, using the 6
Pillars of success as the foundation. S/he is responsible for
upholding the Code of Ethical Conduct and for promoting positive
working relationships within the company, among all departments,
and all external stakeholders. The Volunteer Coordinator directly
supervises volunteers. S/he is responsible for interviewing,
hiring, training, and retaining volunteers; planning, assigning,
and directing volunteer workload; appraising performance; rewarding
and disciplining volunteers; and addressing complaints and
resolving problems. The Volunteer Coordinator adequately supports
volunteer operations and to ensure compliance with state and
federal regulations. S/he will ensure the coordination of patient
and family needs for volunteer services and will oversee the
development and implementation of the plan of care to meet those
needs.Position Specific Responsibilities
- Participates as a member of the IDT, including development and
implementation of the plan of care.
- Promotes the use of volunteers as an intervention to support
patient care needs.
- Actively recruits, hires, trains, supervises, and retains
volunteers to support the administrative and patient care needs of
the program and Compassus.
- Adheres to common human resource policies in recruitment and
- Ensures prospective volunteers are interviewed and complete all
mandated background and health screenings prior to being offered a
position as a volunteer.
- Performs initial and ongoing competency evaluations to verify
training and support needs.
- Maintains records of all recruitment and retention
- Maintains accurate record of volunteer utilization as a
percentage of overall patient care hours as mandated by
- Effectively communicates patient and family needs to IDT.
- Provides education about volunteer services and role of the
volunteer to members of the IDT.
- Prepares reports, in-services, and other documents to
demonstrate the value and effectiveness of the volunteer program as
- Utilizes a variety of means to communicate with and retain
active volunteers, which may include: newsletters; email campaigns;
gatherings/celebratory events; meetings.
- Delivers high quality training for new volunteers.
- Delivers at least 4 in-services per year for active
- Manages volunteer services through accountable awareness of
volunteer utilization, documentation and plan of care
- Assigns patient care and administrative volunteers, providing
oversight for activity and documentation requirements.
- Develops and performs public service announcements regarding
- Performs the role of the patient care volunteer when needed to
support plan of care interventions.
- Operates within established budgetary guidelines and manages
expenses of volunteer program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Colleague degree (AS or BS) preferred.
- Experience in Social Services, Human Services, Resource
Management or related field is preferred; or equivalent combination
of education and experience desired.
- Prior experience managing volunteer services or non-profit
organization is a plus.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and
divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common
fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret
general business periodicals, professional journals, technical
procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports,
business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to
effectively present information and respond to questions from
leaders, colleagues, investors, and external parties. Strong
written and verbal communications.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to understand, read, write,
and speak English. Articulates and embraces hospice philosophy.
Ability to effectively delegate and monitor many activities
simultaneously.Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical
demands described here are representative of those that must be met
by a colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is regularly
required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk and hear.
The colleague frequently is required to stand, sit, and reach with
hands and arms. The colleague is occasionally required to walk;
climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or
smell. The colleague must frequently lift and/or move more than 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision. The work environment characteristics described here
are representative of those a colleague encounters while performing
the essential functions of this job. There will be possible
exposure to infectious diseases through working with clinical
caregivers. The noise level in the work environment is usually
At Compassus, including all Compassus affiliates, diversity,
equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our Pillars of Success. We
are committed to creating a fair work environment where our
colleagues feel welcomed, highly valued, and respected. As an equal
opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
status.Estimated salary range $11.94 - $33.88 / hour. Actual salary
will vary by geographic location and experience.
Keywords: Compassus, Dayton , Volunteer Coordinator, Other , Dayton, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!